Opvoedcafé 010 - Privacy statement
Last updated: September 5, 2019.
Jesus.net is committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what we do with it, no matter how you interact with us. That is whether you want to work or volunteer for us, donate, use our services, want information, training or want to learn more about what we do.
We are committed to using your personal information in accordance with our responsibilities. We are required to provide you with the information in this Privacy Statement under applicable law which includes:
- The Dutch law of personal data protection (Algemene Verordening Gegevensverwerking, AVG) from 25 May 2018 (based on the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679).
- the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
We will not do anything with your information you would not reasonably expect. Please know that we are committed to protecting and appropriately handling the private and personal information of users of our services. We are publishing this Privacy Statement to let you know how we handle personal information.
Processing of your personal information is carried out by or on behalf of the non-profit ‘Stichting Jesus.net Foundation’ (hereafter Jesus.net). When we use the terms “we” “us” or “our”, we refer to Jesus.net and affiliated partners.
Jesus.net is an international network of local ministry organizations across the globe. Jesus.net exists by the presence of all the participating partners all over the world. For the purpose of delivering our services, projects, fundraising activities and appeals, we may share personal information with one with our Jesus.net Partners.
Jesus.net is registered at Watertorenweg 172, 3063 HA, Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The Dutch fiscal number (RSIN) is: 851832489.
This privacy notice tells you about how we collect, use and protect your personal information. If you have any questions about our Privacy Statement, please get in touch with us:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Jesus.net, Watertorenweg 172, 3063 HA, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, personal information is information about you, individually, such as name, address, telephone number, email address, and your personal preferences, interests (including religious views), and other information you may share with us etc.
We may collect and store personal information…
- …when you visit our website.
You can visit our website without telling us who you are or revealing personal information about yourself, including your e-mail address. Our web server may collect anonymous information related to your visit to our website, such as IP address and domain used to access our website, browser type, the website you came from to access our website, the page you entered and exited at, any website page within our website that is viewed by that IP address and the country where you are located. We use this information to monitor our website’s performance (such as number of visits, average time spent, page views, etc.) and for our operational purposes, such as working to continually upgrade our website.
- …when you directly give us personal information.
We may collect and store information about you when you interact with us through the Site or other Jesus.net related Sites. For example, this could be when you…
- …use any of the contact forms provided on our website;
- …support our work through a donation;
- …register for an event;
- …register for one of our (email) services;
- …register to one of our e-courses;
- …give us feedback;
- …make a complaint;
- …apply for a position or to volunteer through our website;
- …correspond with a representative of Jesus.net.
- …when you indirectly give us information.
When you interact with us on social media platforms such as Facebook (Messenger), WhatsApp, Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn, we may also obtain some personal information about you. The information we receive will depend on the privacy preferences you have set on each platform and the privacy policies of each platform. To change your settings on these platforms, please refer to their privacy statement.
Also, we may obtain information about your visit to our site, for example the pages you visit and how you navigate the site, by using cookies. Please check the Cookies section in this Privacy Statement for more information.
If you are aged 16 or under, you must get your parent’s/guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to us.
When you engage with us by phone, mail, in person or online, we may collect information about you (referred to in this Privacy Statement as 'personal information'). This may include your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, job title and details of your education and career, why you are interested in Jesus.net, and other information relating to you personally which you may choose to provide to us.
Data protection law recognizes that certain types of personal information are more sensitive. This is known as 'sensitive' or 'special category' personal information and covers information revealing racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs and political opinions, trade union membership, genetic or biometric data, information concerning health or data concerning a person's sex life or sexual orientation.
With your explicit consent, we may also collect sensitive personal information if you choose to tell us about your experiences relating to our services.
We will use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Donation processing: We will process personal information you provide in order to administer any one-time or on-going donations.
- Responding to a request: If you contact us with a question, we may use your personal information to provide you with a response.
- Fundraising or direct marketing: We will only send you marketing information by email, if you have given us specific consent. If you withdraw your consent and then subsequently opt in to receive marketing information again, then your most recent preference may supersede.
- Monitoring and Evaluating: We may use your information in order to improve current and future delivery of our services. In order to do so, we may use services of service providers.
- Processing an application to work with us: We may process your information if you send or fill in an application form or send us your CV or details in respect of an opportunity to work with us in order to evaluate your suitability and respond to you.
- Transactional purposes: We will need to use your personal information in order to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us for goods or services.
- Providing and developing our website: We may use your personal information to help provide you with access to our website, personalize your experience, and improve and develop it further.
- Administration: We may use your personal information to record and deal with a complaint, record a request not to receive further marking information, record what our volunteers have done for us, and for other essential internal record keeping purposes.
- Protecting your vital interests: We may process your personal information where we reasonably think that there is a risk of serious harm or abuse to you or someone else.
- Market research and surveys: We may invite you to participate in surveys or market research to help us improve our website, fundraising, services and strategic development. Participation is always voluntary and no individuals will be identified as a result of this research, unless you consent to us publishing your feedback.
- Legal, regulatory and tax compliance: Where required we are subject to a legal obligation, we may process your personal information to fulfil that obligation.
- Profiling: we try to make our products/services, and the communication about this as relevant and personal as possible. This includes the following: analyzing, collecting and combining (sensitive) personal data with the aim of classifying you in a certain category. Through profiling, we can derive the profile and associated interests and what content you may be interested in. Profiling can have an impact on your privacy. This could be due to incorrect or outdated data that has linked categories to you. If the above is the case, you can contact email@example.com. We will then take further measures, such as resetting your profile.
We will only use your information for the purposes for which it was obtained. We will not, under any circumstances, sell or share your personal information with any third party for their own purposes, and you will not receive marketing from any other companies, charities or other organizations as a result of giving your details to us.
We will only share your data for the following purposes:
Third party suppliers: We may need to share your information with data hosting providers or service providers who help us to deliver our services, projects, or fundraising activities and appeals. These providers will only act under our instruction and are subject to pre-contract scrutiny and contractual obligations containing strict data protection clauses.
Right now, we have an agreement with 2 service providers:
- StudioDR (situated in Poland).
- Savvi B.V. (situated in The Netherlands).
Where legally required: We will comply with requests where disclosure is required by law. For example, we may disclose your personal information to the government for tax investigation purposes, or to law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime. We may also share your information with the emergency services if we reasonably think there is a risk of serious harm or abuse to you or someone else.
We always aim to ensure that personal information is only used by those third parties for lawful purposes in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
We use technical and corporate organizational safeguards to ensure that your personal information is secure. We limit access to information on a need-to-know basis and take appropriate measures to ensure that our people are aware that such information is only used in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
We undertake regular reviews of who has access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff, volunteers and contractors.
Our online forms are always encrypted and our network is protected and routinely monitored.
If you use your credit or debit card to donate to us, buy something or make a booking online, we pass your card details securely to our payment processing partners. We do this in accordance with industry standards and do not store the details on our website.
However, please be aware that there are always inherent risks in sending information by public networks or using public computers and we cannot 100% guarantee the security of data (including personal information) disclosed or transmitted over public networks.
We will keep your personal information in respect of financial transactions for as long as the law requires us to for tax or accounting purposes (which may be up to six years after a particular transaction).
If you request that we stop processing your personal information for the purpose of marketing we may in some instances need to add your details to a suppression file to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted.
In respect of other personal information, we will retain it for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, taking into account guidance issued by the ‘Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens’.
We may use the services of a supplier outside the European Economic Area (EEA), which means that your personal information is transferred, processed and stored outside the EEA. You should be aware that, in general, legal protection for personal information in countries outside the EEA may not be equivalent to the level of protection provided in the EEA.
However, we take steps to put in place suitable safeguards to protect your personal information when processed by the supplier such as entering into the European Commission approved standard contractual clauses. By submitting your personal information to us you agree to this transfer, storing or processing at a location outside the EEA.
Data protection legislation gives you the right to request access to personal information about you which is processed by Jesus.net and to have any inaccuracies corrected. You also have the right to ask us to erase your personal information, ask us to restrict our processing of your personal information or to object to our processing of your personal information.
If you wish to exercise these rights, please write a letter (or an email) and send it along with copies of two separate identification documents which provide photo identification and confirm your address, such as a passport, driving license, or utility bill. Please also provide any additional information that is relevant to the nature of your contact with us, as this will help us to locate your records.
You can send us the documents via post to:
Data Protection Officer
Watertorenweg 172, 3063 HA, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Alternatively, email a copy of the form along with scans or photos of your two forms of identification to:
We will respond within 30 days, on receipt of your written request and copies of your identification documents.
If you would like more information, or have any questions about this policy, to make a formal complaint about our approach to data protection or raise privacy concerns please contact Jesus.net:
Mail Jesus.net, Watertorenweg 172, 3063 HA, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
If you would like to make a complaint in relation to how we have handled your personal information, please follow our complaints procedure. If you are not happy with the response you receive, then you can raise your concern with the relevant statutory body:
2509 AJ DEN HAAG, the Netherlands
Cookies are small text files which are downloaded to and stored on your device when you visit a website. Cookies are widely used by website owners to provide you with a good experience while you browse, and also to provide information which can help website owners to improve websites.
When you visit our website, we may place a “cookie” on your computer to track your visit. The cookie acts as an identification card and allows our website to identify you and to retain information that is relevant to interacting with our website. The cookie allows us to track your visit to the website so that we can better understand your use of our website and customize it to better meet your needs.
We have split the cookies used on our site into four categories – functional cookies, performance cookies. Each of these categories is explained below along with details of the specific cookies used, though within each category we may use additional or alternative cookies at any time.
- Functional cookies
These enhance your experience whilst using the site by recognizing you when you return to our site, for example, by remembering accessibility preferences.
We use the following functional cookies on our site:
- SumoMe. This cookie is used for banners, social share etc.
- Performance Cookies
These cookies enable us to monitor and improve the performance of our website. For example, they allow us to count visits, identify traffic sources and see which parts of the site are most popular.
- Clicky. This cookie is used to monitor and track traffic on our website, by using the Clicky interface.
- Google Analytics. This cookie is used to monitor and track traffic on our website, by using the Google Analytics interface.
Most internet browsers automatically accept cookies unless you change your browser settings. If you wish to restrict, block or delete the cookies which are set by any websites, you can generally do this through your browser settings. These settings are usually found in the 'options' or 'preferences' menu of your internet browser.
Please note however that if you set your internet browser preferences to block all cookies, you may not be able to access all or parts of our site. Unless you have adjusted your internet browser settings to block cookies, our site will set cookies.